December 20, 2005

I can never go to the last day auctioning off of the heart and soul of a failed small business without mixed feelings. I and everyone else there tear at the carcass of someone's hopes and dreams like vultures, paying not even a penny on the dollar of the wholesale value -- and yet I could never have afforded to patronise the store normally, and without such events, I could never afford to buy such things at all. Shelves, stereos, perfectly good stepladders: entire vertical sections lumped together with all their contents and auctioned off for less than the price of a cup of coffee. I found myself very grateful that at least the owner was not present.

As it is, I now have Christmas presents to give. (For this year, I had not had the time nor space to make them: this December, being the first anniversary of my mother's death, is very hard on my father this year.)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home