July 08, 2004

Shortly after I abandoned the public computer yesterday I found myself emulating a seventh of that old anecdote of Robert the Bruce: as I happened to catch sight of a particularly large spider of the garden variety completing an absolutely beautiful - and absolutely doomed - web across the doorway of a shop which had only recently closed for the day.

Storm-wracked the sky, and dark, the underside of the clouds lit with bright flashes of lightning.

Directly across from the public access computers is the local lightning rod, the one building which could be named skyscraper. Under a storm sky, its mirrored walls on my side reflected the absolute, aching blue sun sky light to the south.


Smile of the day:

As he was walking along a steep cliff, the pebbles slid out suddenly from under his foot and he fell - and only just managed to grab a branch before he plunged to the bottom of the canyon. But it hurt to hang on, the undercut made it impossible to climb out, and he felt himself slipping. Desperately, he began yelling for help. He yelled for a long time - was about to give up, in fact - when he heard a voice: "Can you hear me, Jack?"

"Yes!" he shouted, "yes I can hear you. Down here!"

"I can see you, Jack. Are you all right?"

"Yes! but please hurry!" And then it occurred to him: "Who are you? What are you doing here? How did you know my name?"

"I am the Lord, Jack. I am everywhere."

"The Lord? You mean, like God?"

"That is Me."

He hung there, silent, overwhelmed. After a moment he said: "God, please help me! I promise if - if you get me down from here, I - I will stop sinning. I will be a really good person. I will serve you for the rest of my life!"

"Easy on the promises, Jack. First I get you down from there, then we talk. Now, here is what I want you to do. Listen carefully."

"Anything, Lord! Just tell me what to do."

"First, let go of the branch."

"Wh - what?"

"Let go of the branch. Just trust Me. Let go."

...

"HELP! HELP! IS ANYONE ELSE UP THERE?"

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home