June 16, 2004

Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
- Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card)

All the usernames I have ever adopted for the Internet, including the very first, have been given me by other people, so I suppose it could be said that those names have chosen me. The one adopted for the purposes of this blog was given me by Jilz, who so well names himself "friend" (and from whom I still hope to hear again, one of these days/months/years).

According to one popular meme, emptymirror is 5 parts success, 5 parts arrogance, 5 parts joy, blended, with a slice of caring and a pinch of salt.

What expectations and preconceptions do I reflect there, I wonder? but then, a mirror cannot be expected to see its own self-image. For all I know, it could be dead accurate, from at least one person's pov, indeed if I do encompass all things, it must be ... and perhaps other names I have been given reflect other aspects of who I am. Perhaps it takes a little randomness to fish out the underlying truths? Perhaps the truths lie in the spaces ... the absences of those missed? or perhaps in the preferred choices, the choosers may see a little randomised truth of their own? So let's try it (even though it gives no unequivocably negative traits) for other identities and fractions thereof:

And the Simplicity, once named for me (and since removed from the generally accessible web) consisted of a tall glass of chilled orange juice ... and nothing else. It was intended as a comment on my style of writing. How were its originators to know this and water are by far the most common things I do drink?

Which of these am I? Which of these do you want me to be? Which of these do you need me to be?


Smile of the day:

A minister, a priest, and a rabbi went for a hike one hot day. Before long they were sweating and exhausted. When they came upon a small, secluded lake, they took off their clothes and jumped in the water. Afterwards, refreshed, the trio decided to pick a few berries while still enjoying their "freedom" ... and just as they reached an open area, who should come along but a group of ladies from town? Unable to get to their clothes in time, the minister and the priest covered their privates and the rabbi covered his face while they ran for cover.

After the ladies left and the men managed to get their clothes back on, the minister and the priest asked the rabbi why he covered his face rather than his privates. The rabbi replied, "I don't know about you, but in the synagogue, it is my face they would recognise."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home