June 30, 2004

The easiest way to resolve the status of an awkward prisoner of war is to shift the responsibility to a different authority: one which carries the appearance of independence from those who have undertaken the capture ... but which, independently, will deal with the matter in a manner favourable to the interests of the captors. If the captors can first shape that authority into a semblance of their own image, so much the better.


Smile of the day:

Two friends met in the street. One looked sad and almost on the verge of tears, so the other asked, "Hey, my friend, why do you look as though the whole world has caved in?"

"Let me tell you. Three weeks ago, a grand-uncle I never knew died, and left me 50 thousand dollars."

(!) "That is not bad at all...!"

"Hold on, I am just getting started. Two weeks ago, a cousin I never knew kicked the bucket and left me 95 thousand, tax free yet."

"Well, wonderful! I should be so lucky."

"Last week, an uncle I never knew passed away. I inherited almost a million."

"So why are so glum?"

"This week - nothing!"

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home